The foodie blogosphere is all abuzz with the BBC’s list of 50 things to eat before you die.
Over at the Traveler’s Lunchbox, the list has been trimmed to 5. Here’s mine:
1. A properly ripened Camembert de Normandie.
Epoisses is my favorite, Gruyere would be my desert island choice, and nothing is as elegant as a Vacherin Mont d’Or, but there is no sensory experience quite like enjoying a genuine AOC Camembert de Normandie.
2. November/December Chef’s Degustation menu from French Laundry with the foie gras and white truffle supplements.
Hey, I know it’s cheating, but how else could I fit caviar, white truffles and foie gras on this list? I’m limited to five, and I had to bring up French Laundry somehow. Besides, if you’re going to do it, you might as well do it right.
3. The full 13 course Chinese wedding or New Year’s banquet. See above, except it’s all about shark’s fin soup and peking duck
4. Just plucked and still warm garden tomato cultivated with love, sliced and sprinkled with flaky salt.
You can get the best tomato from the San Francisco Ferry Plaza farmer’s Market, the Santa Monica Wednesday Farmer’s Market or the Union Square Greenmarket in New York, but none of them will beat a garden tomato.
5. Pierre Herme macaron, especially the Ispahan.
What are your 5 things?